The First National Bank, originally known as “Shepherd’s Bank,” was chartered in 1866. In 1867, Benjamin A. Shepherd became president of the bank and managed it successfully for over 2 decades. After his death, his son-in-law took over, and continued that successful streak through turbulent times such as the Panic of 1907.
In 1905, the original 2-story structure was replaced with an 8-story, steel-frame building, the first of its kind in Houston. This version of the First National Bank building is still standing today.