Group posing on the steps of Houston’s Colored Carnegie Library

Unknown photographer / Unknown date
Location: Frederick @ Robin

The Colored Carnegie Library opened in 1913, after Black teachers were denied access to the Houston Public Library. It was originally located at the corner of Frederick and Robin Streets, directly across from Antioch Baptist Church.

It was demolished in 1962 during the Clay Street extension project.

Leave a Reply